Saturday 4 February 2012

A Momentous Occasion...1 year 6 months post op

Last night I got into bed but then I realised I needed to turn the light off, so I sat up. 

Then I realised. I can sit up! I can actually sit straight up from lying down!! Without even thinking about it!!

This may not sound like much but for me this is a big deal.

I'm now 1 year 6 months post op and it's only really over the past couple of months or so that I'm starting to notice improvements like this. 

I'd say I've pretty much felt the same between the 1 year post op mark and 1 year 5 months or so and I was worried that I wouldn't improve much more.  That this would be it now. The best I'd ever get.

This to me though is proof that I am still improving. Proof how long this recovery actually is.

I can't help but think that all my hard work at the gym is also paying off. For the past few months I've been working really hard, going 3 times a week and focussing on core muscle work.

Last week my fitness instructor asked me to do the "Plank," which is basically lying face down on a mat, resting on your forearms and pushing off the floor so you're resting on your toes and elbows only. 

I was a bit reluctant at first as I haven't really done any exercises on the floor since surgery and I was worried about hurting my back. It was awkward getting down that low and getting back up but he was impressed with how long I could hold the exercise, he said I can hold it longer than most people he sees so my core exercises must be working! 

I'm now doing this exercise when I go to the gym, but resting on a pilates ball rather than the floor so I don't need to get down that low.

I have really noticed that my lower back pain has improved since I started all these core exercises and I'm so happy that I can now do things like sitting up in bed, like I used to before surgery, without log rolling out.

Honestly, I thought I would never do this again. I thought that maybe the rods restricted me from being able to sit up without rolling on my side but it must be weak muscles and now I'm regaining strength in my back muscles things like this are getting so much easier.

Yes, it's always in the back of my mind that what if I'm doing damage to my back/fusion/metal going to the gym all the time? This thought sometimes takes over and I'm scared to try new things but I'm getting to the point slowly where I'm realising that my back is stronger than I think.

I actually feel like I'm getting my old life back, after all this time.

Woohoo!!!

2 comments:

Jade Mellor said...

Fantastic! You are doing brilliantly! xxx

Unknown said...

Aww thank you Jade :) xxx