Wednesday 25 January 2012

Costoplasty Questions

I've been asked a few times about the costoplasty procedure I had at the time of my scoliosis surgery, so I thought I would try and answer a few common queries about costoplasties below:

What is a costoplasty?

When the spine curves it can also twist, this causes rotation of the rib cage which results in a "rib hump," this mainly occurs with thoracic curves that affect the ribs. In my case I had a large thoracic curve and a very prominent "rib hump" on my right side, caused by the rotation of the spine. Some scoliosis curves can be large with very little rotation and some can be small with lots of rotation, every case is different.

A costoplasty, sometimes called thoracoplasty, is a separate procodure to the spinal fusion, which can reduce the appearance of the "rib hump" that is most often associated with thoracic curves. 


A costoplasty will usually involve the removal of sections of several ribs that protrude - in my case my surgeon removed four sections of rib - ouch!! The idea is that when the ribs grow back, they will grow back straight, providing you with a flatter back.
This procedure can be carried out during the same time as the scoliosis surgery, or sometimes as a separate procedure after the spine has fused.  

Note that you can't have a costoplasty without first having the spinal fusion to stabalise the spine.


Does everyone undergoing scoliosis surgery require a costoplasty?

No. Not everyone with scoliosis will require a costoplasty, it's generally considered a "cosmetic" procedure and in many cases, especially with the modern instrumentation used nowadays, the surgeon can achieve a fantastic cosmetic outcome without the need for this additional procedure. Also, depending on where the curve is in the spine, the ribs may not be affected and therefore this procudure would not be required.

Are you pleased with the results? 
Yes. Personally, I had alot of rotation, my rib hump was very large and I hated it. It made me self-concious and it was painful and uncomfortable to sit against chairs, this is why I decided to ask my surgeon about the costoplasty.


On reflection I am pleased I had this procedure and I would have it again tomorrow if I had to as the results were so fantastic. My rib hump has disappeared and I still can't get over how flat it looks even now.

Is having a costoplasty painful?

Yes it WAS painful, but that's not much of a surprise really bearing in mind I had 4 broken ribs!  It hurt to breathe, sneeze, laugh, move!!

I would say the costoplasty pain was worse than the pain from my spine and lasted about 6 months. But for me the pain was all worth it and was controlled well with painkillers :-)


Are there additional risks to having a costoplasty?

Yes, as with any surgical procedure there are risks and complications that can occur with a costoplasty and you should always discuss all the options and risks with your surgeon before making a decision.

Hope this helps please feel free to ask any further questions you may have about this procedure and I'll do my best to help :-)


Louise x

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so upaet my doctor never mentioned this to me. Even after my spinal fusion I'm still so self concious of my rib hump it causes great depression and sadness. I'm 17 and have missed out on all the fun things due to the pain and self consciousness my scoliosis has caused me. I wish I got a costoplasty so much!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you are upset. I know it's not ideal but you can have a costoplasty as a separate op after spinal fusion once you are recovered. May be worth speaking to your dr or surgeon if it bothers you that much. There are risks as with every other op though so you need to weigh everything up.